Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why Jeremy Lin Drives Me Crazy


       I’m going to come right out and say it: I don’t like Jeremy Lin.  I can’t stand him. People ask me all the time how I could possibly feel this way. And they're right too. He is a fairy tale story, an international phenomenon, and is single handedly saving the New York Knicks’ season. Well, it’s probably the last point that drives me crazy. No, definitely.

            The reason for my harsh feelings has been with me my entire life. I was born and raised outside of Philadelphia in a family that bled the color of whatever Philly team was in season. The Phillies’ world series in 2008 was a top three moment of my life. I got to watch the great, once in a lifetime talents of Allen Iverson and saw many successful, yet ultimately disappointing seasons out of the Flyers and Eagles. That doesn't sound so bad on the surface but if you’re keeping track at home, (and I know a lot of you are) that’s one championship in my short 20 years on this earth.
Jeremy Lin
Linsanely Annoying
            What then, keeps me interested when my hometown heroes can’t win the big game? It’s simple, rooting against teams I hate – many of which happen to be located in New York City.
     Now lets get back to Jeremy Lin. For those who don’t know Jeremy Lin is the first Asian American basketball player to ever play in the NBA. He played his college ball at Harvard (after being passed on by a handful of better programs), and bounced around the NBA and D League teams for about two years. In fact, he was reportedly on the verge of being cut yet again, this time by the New York Knicks, when he changed his fate forever. The Knicks’ two best players went down with injuries. In came Lin and did he ever take advantage of the opportunity; scoring more points in his first four starts than any player since the NBA/ABA merger, and leading the woeful Knicks to wins in all of those games. Add that to his obvious emotion and excitement for the game, and his Tebow-like faith in Christianity, and you have the recipe for an American sports hero (or at least a media hailstorm). Let’s recap:

-Passed over by better teams in college – Check

- First Asian American to play in the NBA – Check

- Almost cut by the Knicks before exploding and saving his team’s season on the biggest stage the NBA has to offer –Check

- Faith that rivals Tim Tebow – Check

That's quite a resume.

I Hope "Linvasion" Is Better than
"Kobe Doin Work"
       Basically, this guy is perfect. How could I not like him? He seems like a gentleman, he doesn’t get into trouble off the court and he is, by all accounts, a tremendous worker and teammate. It’s pretty simple, actually. He’s a New York Knick. He wears blue and orange and plays in Madison Square Garden; Spike Lee is probably writing a script titled, “The Linvasion: The Jeremy Lin Story” as we speak, AND he’s saving their season and coach Mike D’Antoni’s job. I can’t stand them, and it’s just the way I was raised. I hate that Sportscenter shows the Knicks’ highlights five times every hour, when my Sixers – who are six games ahead of the Knicks in the standings and by all accounts a better team – often don’t get mentioned at all. If my team can’t win, then you can bet I want the Knicks to lose. For me, it’s like the slogan on those old t-shirts, “Eat. Sleep. Hate the Knicks”. And I understand all the publicity - it’s what comes with playing in New York - and that’s exactly why I hate Jeremy Lin. I'm sick of hearing about him. Maybe it would be different if he played in San Antonio or Milwaukee, or Sacramento, but he doesn’t. He plays for the Knicks and for me, that’s simply unforgivable.

Sorry Jeremy, I can’t wait until Carmelo Anthony comes back and steals all of your touches. 
Jonathan Miller

5 comments:

  1. Clearly I am biased because I am from the New York area, but I think your hatred for Jeremy Lin is irrational and unjust. I understand that as sports fans it is natural for us to garner animosity towards opponents of our favorite teams. Yet, you are misdirecting your hatred for New York sports teams and placing it on Jeremy Lin. It is ok and understandable that you don't like the New York Knicks because you were raised a 76ers fan. But, I believe that you cannot hate an individual player unless he has done something extremely bad or has poor character. If Jeremy Lin was a dirty player who was selfish or he was involved with "doping" or other illegal practices to enhance his performance then I would justify your hatred. But the truth is Jeremy Lin has showed great character both on and off the court. He is the piece of the puzzle the New York Knicks have been missing for years. He proves that hard work and dedication can make you rise to the top and shine. For this reason and many more Lin serves as a role model to so many young athletes. He also validates the fact that a great education is important as well as having faith in yourself and others. He has created an outrageous level of enthusiasm for sports from minority groups, specifically people of Asian descent. Lin has brought back the spirit and love for the New York Knicks that has been gone for awhile. I think you should rethink your hatred towards Lin. Go ahead and hate the New York Knicks, but do not hate a player who has done nothing but bring excitement and enthusiasm to the sports world. I bet you would feel very differently about Lin if he was on the 76ers. If he was on the 76ers and scored 39 points to top the Lakers, or hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer of a tied-up game to take the win against the Raptors i'm sure you would believe in "linsanity", "all-lin", or "vaLINtines day".
    -Shannon Funsch

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right; In fact I made that distinction towards the end of my post when I said, " Maybe it would be different if he played in San Antonio or Milwaukee, or Sacramento, but he doesn’t." I don't hate Lin as a person. I hate him as a Knick and I think that's a perfectly fair extension. Its illogical and irrational but thats comes with sports fandom. Does it make sense that we idolize people who work half as hard us to make ten times as much money as us? All while playing a SPORT for a living. Being a sports fan is a unique condition and common sense definitely doesn't apply - it's all about emotions. And my emotions tell me that if I see another nickname for Jeremy Lin I'm going to kick in my tv.
    It's the same as the Tebow phenomenon. Tons of people don't like Tim Tebow even though he seems like a great guy.

    Sp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan, I think that you should really look at the bigger picture in this situation. Of course it’s a shocker to everyone to have the Knicks make a run with an unknown player from Harvard with a team that revolves around Carmelo and Amare. However, I don’t think that you can hate on a player like this for accomplishing all that Lin has done. Lin had 136 points in his first 5 starts, which averages 27 points a game. He scored more points in his first 5 games than any player in NBA history. It’s not fair to so strongly hate on a player solely because he is giving your Sixers a scare and capturing their attention. Shannon is right: I’m sure you would feel MUCH differently if Lin were on your team.

    And to question whether “it makes sense that we idolize people who work half as hard as us to make ten times as much money as us” is simply unfair. Although playing sports for a living seems ideal and an enjoyable way to make money, athletes clearly put in a lot of hard work, time, and energy off the court to be where they are now. I think its disrespectful to question Lin’s and more importantly athletes’ successes.

    -Brooke Kranz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonatahan, I can't help but think that you are not being very open-minded in this scenario. Granted, I feel as though you are spot on when you say that shows such as SportsCenter epitomize and over assess scenarios such as these, but what he has done as an individual is remarkable. I know the above comments have given his credentials, and all that he has done, but when someone as gone through as much as Jeremy Lin has, how can you not give credit where credit is due. I know you feel as though the Knicks, a team in which you have no respect for, is overshadowing a Philadelphia team, but if any team or player were to do something of this stature they would receive the necessary credit. Overall, I feel as though you have a right to your opinion, but to come out and say that just because he plays for an organization in which you despise does not mean you respect him. I respect Jeremy Lin, because of his journey, and because of the progress he has made. Nearly, three weeks ago he was sleeping on his brother's couch. Now he has become an international icon. You can respect someone, but hate them. Magic Johnson hated Larry Bird, but looking back I know without a doubt he respected him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this post to be interesting for a few reasons. I don't think their is anything wrong with not liking Jeremy Lin. I despise Tim Tebow, and he has many of the same polarizing qualities that Lin has. Now I am going to ignore the fact that Tebow is now on the NFL team I support because that would take me on a rant that wouldn't stop for hours. What I do want to address is one key fact that many people don't realize about New York sport fans: We lose A LOT. I am a fan of the Knicks, Mets, Jets, and Islanders. Do you realize the one similarity between all four teams? None of the four teams have won a championship in my lifetime. The Knicks haven't won since 1973, the Mets since 1986, the Jets since Super Bowl 3 and the Islanders in a very long time. So while this Philadelphia fan may wine that the teams he supports have only won one championship, that is one more championship than I have witnessed in my lifetime.

    Many of my friends from New York at home tend to support these same four teams. It usually goes Yankees, Giants, Knicks, and Rangers fans grouped together and then the other four teams I mentioned. So while New York fans may be portrayed as cocky and condescending fans, the reality is that about half of them are just passionate and hungry fans craving a championship.

    ReplyDelete