Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dave and Busters..Is It About the Game or is it About the Tickets and Prizes?



This past weekend I traveled to Chicago for a formal with some friends. On Saturday afternoon the boys were not interested in going shopping so instead they decided it would be fun to go to Dave and Busters Arcade. As soon as I walked in I looked around to find tons of little kids running from game to game like it was the best day ever. It was funny because we came in a large group of people all over 20 years old, many of which are seniors and will be going on to live in the real world next year. Yet, somehow a Saturday afternoon of arcade games was able to bring in a wide spectrum of different age groups. We all immediately went to buy power cards which give you a certain amount of points per dollar and the points enable you to play the games. Each game is valued at a different number of points. My friends and I each bought the power plus card ,which cost us $28.00 and gave us 150 points.

     Where do we begin? Dave and Busters was filled with an array of different games each worth a different number of points and each a different level of difficulty. In the beginning we were playing all the advanced electronic games, which were extremely challenging and didn’t win us any tickets. But then suddenly I looked around and realized that all the little kids had parked themselves at the games that gave out the most tickets. Meanwhile us college kids had been trying to play all of these advanced games and we weren’t getting any tickets. I showed my friends the selection of prizes and suddenly everything changed. We all said that we would try to get as many tickets as we possibly could with our remaining points and we would combine them in an effort to take home the giant monkey as our prize. We split up and we were able to find games that were fairly simple and not that interesting yet extremely addicting due to the amount of tickets you could easily obtain. I actually was thinking about it and told my friends it is kind of funny that we each spent $30 and if we combined all that money we would be able to buy A LOT more than a stuffed animal. This got me to thinking…is it about the games or is it really about the prize
                                                    
    We all finished out our cards and ended up with thousands of tickets and we most likely would have been able to win that giant monkey we had hoped for. But something felt so wrong. Here we were these “adults” in an arcade standing on line about to cash in tons of tickets and we watched as all of these little kids walked by us with eyes wide screaming “look at all those tickets!” That is when we decided that we were going to give the tickets away to someone who cared more about tickets. There was one little boy who watched as we spun the wheel and won the jack pot of 1,000 tickets. We went searching through the arcade to find him and when we did we placed all of the tickets on him and I have never seen a kid so excited. It was like it was Christmas! This trip to Dave and Buster’s made me realize that even with arcade games as humans it is natural for us to want to win and be the best. It isn’t about enjoying the game; it’s about winning the game
-Shannon Funsch
.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your idea that it isn't about enjoying the game, but it has become about winning the game. I think that in society today, people are so focused on "winning" and beating others for the best possible prize and they are willing to do anything to do so. Instead of enjoying what we are doing in life, we are doing anything in our power to get ahead and beat out our opponents. For example, when many students study for a test, they are cramming the information into their brain and not actually absorbing and understanding it. Students today want to get the best possible score on their exams, even if this means temporarily memorizing the material and not actually learning or remembering it after the exam is over. I think that it's important that we enjoy what we are doing, not just racing to the finish line-- life is not a race. Next time I go to an arcade, I will remember to play the games I actually enjoy and want to play, not just the games that will get me the most tickets and a better prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humans just seem to have something engrained into their heads about winning. Competition is such a big part of our lives and past. We evolved from the rest of nature where competition is evident throughout. I don't think it's something that we can really help to an extent. You found yourselves caught up in the gaming at the arcade and spending a good amount of money to win mostly useless prizes; something I probably would've done too. It's not about the prize though; it's about the winning aspect, a sense of achievement to show off hard work. I do agree however that it's important to take a step back every once in a while to enjoy things instead of only thinking of winning. Otherwise, we'll miss out on a lot in life. Good job on giving your tickets to the kid by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you that arcades like Dave and Busters are not about enjoying the games. Now that prizes are involved, the sole purpose of playing is to score the highest and win the best prize by getting as many tickets as possible. What happened to the old fashioned I just wanted to play ski ball or something. My sernior year of high school, we had senior night at Dave and Busters. The only reason people were happy to go was because we would get something out of it, something substantial as well as a lot of food. Dave and Busters is not the only place that attracts people because of the prizes; places like Nathan's does as well. At the Nathan's near my house, it isn't the salty french fries that attracts most customers anymore. The arcade they have inside attracts many families who bring their kids to win prizes. Also, many other fast food chains use prizes as a reason to come in. All kids meals come with a little plastic toy, exciting the child and tempting them to come back to collect them all. What happened to just food and fun? When did it become all about the rewards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Dave and Buster's before but I can imagine it is just like my favorite place ever since I can remember called Chuckie Cheese. Growing up I would always go here solely to get as many tickets as i could possibly collect, even if it meant standing in front of a dumb machine where I would press the button each time I thought it touched the color I was at. The only reason I ever wanted all these tickets was to win a really cool prize at the end, preferable the giant stuffed animals. It's funny that at 20 years old, if I went back to Chuckie Cheese, I would have been exactly like you and done the exact same thing as when I was 10 years old. It's crazy how it really isn't about enjoying the game, it really is just about getting the most tickets so you can win the best prize. Thank was so nice of you to give that little boy the tickets, can't say I would do the same but he must have been so happy!

    ReplyDelete