Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why UC 256 Isn't Fun (Yet)

Does anybody else feel like UC 256 just isn't fun yet? I'm enjoying most of the readings and assignments, but something about the class has been bothering me. What follows is not a rant, but rather a halfway-done-the-semester reflection on the class.

It's fairly obvious that the grading system of UC 256 is modeled after the classic game feature of "leveling up." As a student earns points from completing assignments, he eventually reach a new tier, or "level," which corresponds with a higher grade. However, as I'm finishing up midterms and starting to get grade-conscious, I am now realizing that I still have an F in UC 256. Now, I'm not sure if it's even possible to not have an F (Would someone with a D- like to rub it in my face?), but the fact that I do is extremely frustrating. How am I supposed to explain this to my parents?

I feel this frustration highlights one of the most important features a game should integrate and UC 256 lacks - the buy-in effect. Most video games that I have played (and enjoyed) have allowed me to level up quickly at the beginning, then at an increasingly slower rate. This has allowed me to reap rewards at the beginning of the game and experience the gratification of leveling up quickly, which then motivates me to work harder to get to the next level, even if it requires more work. The way this class is set up requires one to reach a high point threshold before he can start gaining levels, but then makes the levels an equal gap of points apart. This is, in many ways demotivating.

Think about it like this - would you like to play a video game where the first time you level up halfway through the game, then it's easy and predictable to level up after that? Probably not.

Below, I show a graph that roughly models our current grading system (in black) and a grading system that uses the buy-in effect (in red). They both require the same number of points for the highest level, however, the current system uses a linear progression, starting at a large number of points, whereas the buy-in system uses an exponential or logarithmic progression, starting much closer to 0 points. 





Note how at first, when using a buy-in system, a little bit of work is rewarded at first, but as the levels get higher, the amount of work required to get to the next level increases. This is why we don't quit games so quickly. We get addicted to winning, so when the challenge of gaining another level faces us, we gladly do the "grind."

I understand there are some problems with the buy-in system in the classroom setting. In reality, quite a bit is at stake in UC 256 - after all, employers are looking at our GPA, not our level in World of Warcraft, so the motivation to do well most likely persists among the students in the class, regardless of how the grading structure is set up. Additionally, I realize that the way grades are assigned in this class is calibrated towards how much one has to do to "not fail," rather than succeed. Since I am still failing halfway through the semester, that clearly is quite a bit of work. It may be problematic if someone can get a C in the class overnight.

I can't wait until I break the D- threshold, then maybe I'll start enjoying all this work a bit more.

What do you guys think? Should the grading structure be changed to reflect the system often used in video games, or does the fact that it's for a class just not allow for it?

- Jonathan Lipkin

6 comments:

  1. I've actually been thinking the same thing recently. I, myself, am not much of a gamer, and I was unaware of the buy in effect before reading your post. I think one of the problems with the class room setting is that there are so many of us, and so many little assignments to grade that it will be difficult to ever really get a sense of what our grade will be, especially since two of the biggest point assignments are turned in at the end of the semester-the major quest and book quest final report. I also find it frustrating because I like to keep track of my grades, and I do not want to be completely surprised when I receive my final one when the semester ends. This frustration does lead to a decrease in motivation. I unfortunately have no idea how to remedy this system, but I agree that if it is somehow possible, it should definitely happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in response to Sarah, I agree, yet I feel that is the nature of this class. It is very unique and unlike any other class I have taken at this University. I feel that it creates an environment of competition and it keeps each student on his/her toes throughout the semester. There is no time to sit back and just coast because you may end up stuck in the mud. I am an extremely conscientious student who stays on top of my grades and for this reason I feel like it is important to constantly be thinking creatively about what I can do next to earn points. The guild rankings inspire me to think outside the box and speak with my guild members about different concepts. In a sense I think this class is a breath of fresh air. It makes us think differently and work together. Sometimes we have to realize that going to college isn't just about what grades you receive,but more importantly it's about the journey and what you learn along the way. I think Jonathan has a great point with the idea of the buy-in-effect, however he loses me when he says employers are looking at our GPA, not our level in World of Warcraft he slightly loses me. Although this is true, I think we must realize that everything in life isn't cookie cutter. When we get into the workforce we're not always going to know what challenges we might face. In school, we get warned weeks in advance when we're going to have a midterm. In life, we aren't going to get these warnings, and it is important that we are always ready for the unexpected. Instead of thinking about re-structuring the grading system in this class, it may be more beneficial to think of creative ways to earn points.
    -Shannon Funsch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with this sentiment. This class, while definitely different and unique, has not yet lived up to my expectations. Every reading quiz that I do, every time I go to the gym to work on my major quest, seems to be just a small step towards the end of the semester. The buy-in effect is a great way to think about this and I'm glad you brought it up. I'm not a video game player, but I can think about it like the progression of a close sporting event. As the game finds itself in the 4th quarter, the 9th inning, or 3rd period, it seems as if it takes longer to reach the end and more effort to finally come out victorious. I'm hoping that as the class progresses (and I get out of the same failing grade as you are, Jonathan) I can start enjoying it more and start enjoying the "4th quarter" of the semester.

    -Mark Feldman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not much of a gamer either so I have never truly thought about the "buy-in" effect. However, after reading this blog post I realized that this sort of set up to the class would make a lot of sense. On the first day of class, when the grading system was initially discussed, I honestly thought it would be so easy to get an A in this class and that it would come so soon. However, being half way done with the semester and only have a couple thousand points I realize how much harder an A will be than I initially thought. Although we get 50 points just for constantly attending lecture, 50 points out of thousands is really not that much. I am beginning to get frustrated with the fact that I always go to lecture, always fill out the reading quizzes, and have posted on the blogs yet I have no idea where I am going to end in this course. Therefore, overall, I would have to agree with you Jonathan. I think that if I had that initial jump and push at the beginning of the course, I would feel a lot better about it overall. This was a very interesting topic to touch on.

    -Emma Kessler

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this, although only to a point. To some people (such as me), this type of scoring/game type of leveling up just isn't interesting. I could care less about playing a game just to unlock potential rewards and benefits. Games that are based off this type of system, such as most MMORPGS just aren't interesting to me. As a result, this class is extremely frustrating, as it's no different than any other type of class I'm currently enrolled in, in that I would do the work solely to raise my grade, not because it's fun or interesting. I'm not doing it because I enjoy it. As such, this type of buy-in grading system would likely benefit me slightly (since it'd be easier to raise my grade to an "adequate" level), but in the end, there's no real motivation other than success in obtaining the best grade possible, and so I'd be much more likely to "settle" with a lower grade due to it requiring much less work.

    -Andrew Liu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely echo Jonathan's sentiments. While every reading provides me with new information and interesting knowledge to be absorbed, at this point in the semester (the end of March), it all seems pointless. I don't mean to imply that simply learning to learn is pointless, but I too have a less than adequate grade and there's only so many weeks left in this semester. It's incredibly worrisome. This grade scare looming over my head takes away from the enjoyment of the class, especially in a class where I never expected such fears to exist. That being said, I see many simple remedies for this grade situation for future semesters, such as the buy-in grading you described.
    -Josh Heller

    ReplyDelete