Thursday, April 5, 2012


Trey Burke Ready for the NBA?????
I know, I haven’t wrote any blog’s so far, and then I( Elise, an international student from the Netherlands) start blogging about basketball, a sport that I claim nothing to know about… Basketball isn’t a famous sport in the Netherlands and I’m still no expert, but since I’m here to experience ‘the real America’  and all I’ve learned about basketball so far is from the readings for this course, I’ve asked some housemates to clarify the rules (not that different from soccer!) and the terms for me. Of course this ended in a discussion which teams are the best, but they also told me something else, that I thought would be interesting to share (and of course it’s a good opportunity show of my knowledge).
 
So word on the street is that Trey Burke (a freshmen here at Michigan and point guard for the Wolverine’s basketball team) is thinking about declaring for the draft. Is an undersized (1.83 m or six feet), inexperienced point guard like Burke going to be able to compete at such a high level? Don’t get me wrong, for what I’ve heard he has raw talent and he earned some impressive awards but shouldn’t he stay in college and develop his ‘decision-making’; something that just comes with experience. They say he wants to run to the NBA for a little cash when he probably would be lucky to even get some playing time. My friends discussed that the only playing time he’ll get will be in the D league for 3-6 years. He’s good but should develop his game before departing from Ann Arbor.
 




This leads me to a question for you guys. With the short lived careers of many professional athletes, you think going to the Pros to live the high life and then having no degree to fall back on is a good idea? In my opinion many professional athletes (basketball players or not) live the ‘good live’ for a few years and then are left with only one question. Where did all my money go?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! While I may be a bit bias on this matter because I want Burke's talents at least one more year, I think it would be a poor decision for him to leave after this year. While he indeed has amazing talent, I think, like you said, that another year would not only help him develop his skills a little more, but it also reduces the risk of fallin out of the league after only a couple of years. I accepted the fact when he decided to come here that there was no chance of him staying all four years, but I agree that another year with the Wolverines would do nothing but help him. It will give NBA scouts another whole season to see the skill that everyone here knows he has the potential to live up to which will give him a better chance at playing time in the NBA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Trey Burke is an amazing player and would definitely have an amazing career in the NBA. Although he will not graduate with a college degree, I think that he needs to chase his dreams and be selfish in his decisions. Of course this would tremendously hurt Michigan's season, but I think that he needs to do what is best for him. Burke is young and like you said, many professional athletes live the "good life" for only a few years. If he starts now, he will have a much longer career than if he waits and continues to put stress on his body. He is beyond talented, and he will be young and unstoppable for only so long. If Burke stays at Michigan, he puts himself at risk of injury or a poor season, which will affect the rest of his life and chances of going into the NBA. Who knows what will happen next season? While he's still hot, I think Burke should go pro and do what's best for him- even if this means losing our school's star player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So just relaying the information that I've seen going around today it looks like Burke is staying another year. Next year I think we'll definitely be one of the teams to beat.
    But to go on your question I would say that it is a better idea for athletes to stay in college and earn a degree rather than doing the one and done path. By doing this I think this eliminates some of the stepping stone feel of collegiate sports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely an issue that is being discussed a good amount now, especially with teams like Kentucky that will have three freshman that will go first round this year in the draft. It is a tough issue with no answer at the moment, and it is hard to fault these freshman who have break out years and want to go to the league while their stock is high, not to mention that they might need the money for themselves and their families as well. I think it is a serious problem that guys like Allen Iverson, who had never dreamed of that much cash ($200 million in his career), don't know how to manage that much money and end up broke a few years after leaving the league. This is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with, but i can't tell you how happy i am that Burke is back!!!

    ReplyDelete