Sunday, April 15, 2012

Looking back on UC256; my favourite lecture


Thinking back about all the lectures we had for UC256, one of my favorite lectures was about the relation between language and games because it made me realize how big a role language games play in my own life. I will give you guys two examples that I thought about during and after the lecture.

When I heard we would get a lecture about the relation of language and games, I wasn’t sure what to expect but link between language and (board)games seemed obvious. Thinking about the subject makes me realize that in fact speaking another language is also a huge game, one that I’m playing right now! I’m an exchange student and since my first language isn’t English, one of my goals of coming to America is to improve my English skills. Because of the many writing assignments I get at this university and the house with 50 American students that I’m living in, I’m forced to improve my vocabulary and I learn more words every day. But I also challenge myself, for example by trying to keep a conversation fluent without struggling to find the right words and by writing not only in ‘simple English’ (which goes pretty ok. now) but I challenge myself to learn and use synonyms that the English language is full of. So instead of saying 5 times ‘my paper is about’ I learned myself using different words saying exactly the same thing. For example; my paper; concerns, deals with, refers to, regards and is touching).


Another example how language can be used as a game is when we learned about slang and cockney that English man would use, so the police wouldn’t find out where they would talk about. This particular story made me think of something my parents would do, when I was younger. In Holland we have a famous holiday on December 5th that is called Sinterklaas (not be be confused with Santa Clause). Sinterklaas comes all the way from Spain assisted by many mischievous helpers who are black and wear colorful outfits. These helpers are called 'Zwarte Pieten'. each year they dock in the harbor of a different city or village in the Netherlands and give all the children who have been ‘good’ presents. So as December 5th would approach my parents always started talking in a weird language that I couldn’t understand (now known as English). My parents used their language skills to talk to each other about presents they would get me for Sinterklaas, right in front of me, without me knowing what the hell they were talking about. Of course now that I know (sadly enough) that Sinterklaas doesn’t really exist and my English language skills are probably better than those of my parents, I’m now part of the ‘adult group’ trying to keep Sinterklaas alive for my cousins and talk in English about their present in their presence without them realizing it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment