Sunday, April 8, 2012

Can Golf Improve Its Standing as a Spectator Sport?

So after Easter dinner with my family I'm sitting with my Uncle and my Dad flipping back and forth between the Master and some Baseball, and after awhile watching the Masters my Uncle poses an interesting question, "It would be cool if for television they put hecklers around the green to distract the golfers while they put." This then sparked a debate between me, my uncle, and my dad.

nbcsports.com

I would like to first preface this by saying I think golf in itself is a wonderful sport and I thoroughly enjoy playing it, but when it comes to having golf on television it is just plain dull. I think one of the reasons for this is the lack of athletic prowess needed for golf, which in my opinion is a predominately mental sport. The lack of high-speed plays or almost freakish athletic moves puts sports like Football, Basketball, and Hockey at the helm of sports' television.
I think that one way that golf could improve its standing in the realm of television is by changing the style of announcing. When I was watching today the announcers were always very reserved quietly whispering their commentary of the last stroke / hole. I think by changing the style of announcing the announcers can help breed excitement in those at home watching on television. The best example I could think of for this is Gus Johnson. For those of you who are unaware of who Mr. Johnson is I suggest you go watch a youtube video of him. He does a wonderful job of injecting excitement into the sports he commentates on.
The dilemma I think that golf faces though is this; do they trade in the honored tradition of golf being a "gentleman's" sport in order for better ratings and possibly more money?
Let me know your thoughts.
Michael Scheible

5 comments:

  1. Spectators at the Masters aren't even allowed to have cell phones on their possession - so I guess we're a long way off from having hecklers there.

    I personally cannot watch golf on television. Not only do you feel remote from the action (as you would with any sport), but the action is, for the most part, fairly dull anyway.

    Looking back, though, I used to think watching poker was ridiculously boring. All you do is watch people throwing around some chips and cards. Once I started playing, though, I gained a new appreciation of the game and began to increasingly watch it on TV. Maybe the same thing will happen with golf.

    - Jonathan Lipkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a brilliant post. Golf is a sport entrenched in tradition, but it is time to reform with the times. Think about Happy Gilmore. It is time for golf to engage a more youthful audience. What better way to engage a youthful audience than bringing in the charismatic Gus Johnson. I know Gus is my favorite announcer, and it would intrigue me to watch the Masters.

    While I was watching the Masters, we came up with another idea. At first it was just a joke, but it really isn't a bad idea. Very few sports have a pause like a golfer walking from hole to hole and shot to shot. Basketball, football, and tennis can't use technology because it doesn't particularly trust its athletes and more importantly it would impede with game play. Where I am going with this is I think golfers can utilize twitter in an effective and engaging way. Imagine a golfer walking up to the 18th green with a chance at a Masters win and tweeting his emotions. It would give television viewers an opportunity to get into the mind of an athlete in a way that no other sport can offer. Maybe golfers won't want to do this on the 18th green, but it could engage television viewers when golf slows down on the fifth hole of the second day. I think Twitter could make a great impact on engaging a more youthful audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally can't bring myself to agree with any notion of professional golfers tweeting during The Masters. True, golf is a sport that is pretty full of itself and its traditions, but that's what makes it so unique. In the Masters in particular, there's something both intriguing and comforting about seeing white jump-suit clad caddies. I like knowing that every year I'll get to watch familiar faces try to conquer Amen Corner (a legendary stretch of three holes on the back nine of Augusta).
    And then's there's the prospect of a Golfer, walking up to the 18th green with a put to win the Masters stopping to send a tweet. I think that's the last thing a golfer would ever do. I also don't think that tweeting would lead to any more viewers because those who don't care about golf, well, they don't care about golf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last post was Jonathan Miller - the playas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoy playing golf, but sometimes find it boring until it comes down to the last couple holes, just as this year's Masters did. I still don't think the sport should be changed though, simply because of the tradition that golf carries. When I think of golf, I think of an old sport dating back to Europe that shouldn't be altered. However, I do like the idea you propose of changing the announcing. I can see how that could make the sport more interesting for viewers, especially the ones who aren't as big of fans. Golf is one more sport that I don't think will really ever conform to mainstream media.

    ReplyDelete